Why I Run to be... ALIVE!

NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON
A Run to Benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society 2011


4 years ago, last weekend, I ran this very race, my first half marathon!  I wanted to get into shape, after having, at the time, a 3 year old.  The weekend of the run we entered into Union Square and there were thousands of names on the NIKE Wall of all of the women running the race and even more names listed on another wall for those whom these women were running for.  My friend's dad had Lymphoma so I decided, that day, that I would run in support of 
Larry Vaughn; whom today rests in peace.  

My husband was there supporting me with coffee and a bagel in hand, and a lump on his jaw line, to greet me at the finish line!  We were told the lump was most likely a clogged salivary gland and to eat hard candy.  Fast forward two months, after antibiotics and surgery, we received the diagnosis that it is stage 3 Lymphoma.  A treatable kind of Lymphoma, but not a curable one.  WOW!  I thought, "I just ran THE MOST INSPIRATIONAL RUN all for my husband, without even knowing it." 

Today, not a year goes by, that I haven't registered for this run!

In celebration of my 4th year running and my blog coming to life, 
I now am able to share my story and  pictures with you!  
CHEERS to LIFE!

Our view from the W Hotel...


I found this comical, toilet paper titled, "The Backup Plan!"...


My team teacher, Ms Jenny, who ran with me this year,
before our amazing carbs & protein dinner at BoBo's Steak House...


A picture of me at BoBo's...


6:30am in Union Square just before the START at 7am!


The thousands of men and women getting ready to run...


NIKE's 2011 Marathon Slogan...


On your marks, get set, RUN...

As you run through the streets in SF you can't help 
but get choked up when seeing the posters lining the streets 
with pictures and names of all of those affected by Leukemia & Lymphoma!

SUCH A TRUE INSPIRATION...


Our gift from NIKE as we cross the finish line...
A Tiffany's Pendant served to us by the San Francisco Fire Department! :)


Let's look inside that lil' Tiffany's box...


YAY!!  WE DID IT!


When I returned home my girls had made me some adorable posters...




Are you inspired???
Hope so and hope to see YOU in SF in 2012!!!


No comments

Back to Top